Monday, October 10

Culture Jamming Reading Response

http://markdery.com/?page_id=154

While reading this article I was surprised that, despite the fact that it was written almost 20 years ago, approximately "ninety-eight percent of all American households — more than have indoor plumbing — have at least one television, which is on seven hours a day, on the average." That seems pretty crazy to me, and yet as I sit here writing this my television has been on for, at least, three hours. It also brings to mind a time in my life, when I still lived at home with my parents, when I realized that we owned and used 5 TVs and were a middle class family of 5 at the time. I remember thinking, "How could we have a TV for each member of our family? Are we really that spoiled in expecting that at any time of day we should each have the luxury to watch whatever we want at the exact same time?" You would think that we should have been striving for more family time watching shows together at the very least.

Then the subject that embodies the whole 'ignorance is bliss' concept really surprised me. I am guilty of living my life by this motto at times: when I go to the cheap Mexican place that has questionable cleanliness, but rivals nearby restaurants in price....I'd sooner not know whether they handled the cash AND my food before I eat that cost efficient, delicious burrito. It was sad to know that "throughout the war, the American people demanded the right not to know. A poll cited in The New York Times was particularly distressing: 'Given a choice between increasing military control over information or leaving it to news organizations to make most decisions about reporting on the war, 57 per cent of those responding said they would favor greater military control.'" I don't remember much of this time in terms of politics, but I would want to know at least some of what was going on during wars. It makes me angry and sad to hear those things, but it's important to be aware of things going on outside the U.S. even when it's hard to hear.

...to be continued

No comments :

Post a Comment